Saturday, October 2, 2010

Authors Turning in Their Graves

Disgust. Utter disgust. I don't know how else to describe my feeling of abhorrence at how writers are taking classics such as "Jane Eyre", "Pride & Prejudice", "Sense & Sensibility", "Little Women", and even " 'Twas The Night Before Christmas" and turning them into stories involving vampires, werewolves, sea monsters and zombies. Seriously. Do writers have no imagination these days? Do they have to take wholesome books that have been around for decades and turn them into insipid, ho hum, run of the mill literature? Can they not come up with a story line themselves? Do they have to defile the work of genuine authors? Or is it the fault of our society that drives aspiring writers to undertake such an enterprise? Ever since the dawn of Twilight these folkloric beings have been the subject of almost every new series that has found its place on booksellers shelves. Blood sucking, people slaying, and "living" corpses instead of historical happenings, real life experiences, and challenging subjects. I think it is a shame to be feeding these books of farces to the future leaders of our countries.



Jane Eyre goes from  being a women showing her independence and education by finding employment with a tyrannical master as governess
to being a demon, vampire slayer.



The Bennet sisters go from feminine, mannered and examples for a young women (at least Lizzie and Jane) to zombie slayers (impressing the men) and Mister Darcy goes from being a gentleman to a monster - hunter.



This one I really don't know where to start. All I can say at the moment is that it goes from a family of women, surviving on their own in the 18th century to some idiotic women dealing with sea monsters and island princesses.



I think this one almost upsets me the most as it is meant for children. 



First the world teaches children the myth of Saint Nick coming down the chimney and now they teach children  that he has to deal with zombies as well. 


Charlotte Bronte, Jane Austen, Louisa May Alcott and Clement Clarke Moore must be turning in their graves.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have some of those original classics on my bookshelf. I wasn't aware of these ghoulish adaptations but I find the titles somewhat humorous. Not interested enough to read them, though. I love classic monster novels like Bram Stoker's Dracula and Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. I think it's very difficult to come up with outstanding original ideas but not impossible. It doesn't surprise me to see writers borrowing material from the past and putting a horrific twist on it to satisfy readers' creepy cravings.